Monday, September 19, 2011

Parent's Day


Today was Parent's Day at Little Ones school.  I always enjoy being able to go to school with him to see how he behaves at school.  I enjoy seeing how he participates in class, his interactions with peers and how well he comprehends instructions that are given to him.

I try to volunteer as often as possible at his school and when I'm there he always does really well.  Often he comes to me for help and I always reinforce that when at school his teachers are who he needs to go to for instructions or to solve problems there that he may be having.  I don't want to take authority away from the teacher and I tell him 'Just because Mommy is at school, doesn't mean that you don't listen or follow the teacher's instructions."  That being said.....

Including me there were 5 other parent's that attended Parent's Day.  All the parent's, myself included, sat in the rear of Mrs. Alba's class and observed while the kids went about their daily activities.  Little One did very well and performed his work as he normally does when I'm at school.  He was focused and excited to show me how he was able how to move through each station and do the assigned work.  Now we move on to his 2nd class and that's when we begin to have a little difficulty.  Hubby blogged about it in previous post today.

The kids began learning geometry (shapes) last week and today they began working with tangrams.  It was so adorable watching them recognize and call out the name of the shapes as the teacher, Mrs. Yamada, pointed to them.  So far they've learned Hexagon, Trapezoid and Rhombus.  If someone held up these shapes and asked ME to identify them I'd draw a COMPLETE blank.  Next they played a fun individual game where they took a Hexagon and used other shapes to MAKE or fill in the shape of the Hexagon.  He did really well and seeing his little mind work as he put the shapes together made me feel good.  For as distracted as he was during the instruction he more than made up for it doing his work.  Not that he's going to get a pass for his behavior, but I made sure to give him encouragement for his great work. 


Over all I was  very proud of my baby.  I love watching him work, especially when he doesn't know that I'm watching.  It's such a great feeling and warms my heart to see the concentration and excitement in my little guys eyes as he's learning.   He's such a big boy.  I love that little guy!!!!

3 comments:

Ladynay said...

Awwwwww. It's a wonderful feeling! I dumped tri data (shapes) many years ago...hexagon = 6 equal sides? LOL

Jameil said...

Awww! Yay! I was watching Stace teach those crazy shapes & I was like why in the world would I need to know that???? Those kids are being led astray! Hoodwinked! Bamboozled! LOLOL

Unknown said...

@ Lady, it really is. I thought I had a bunch of the shapes at home but cant find them. I guess it's time to go buy more. And you're right. I think the ONLY ones I can remember are hexagon and octagon. Lol

@ Jameil, I was kind of wondering the same thing...but if they're teaching it...I want him to learn it. Maybe it will help him later in geometry. Who knows! Lol

And, GO Stace!!!! I know teaching MULTIPLE kids, with differently learning styles and needs HAS to take patience and be extremely challenging.